How to Setup an Avaya IP Phone 1616
8 min read
Step by Step Guide
How to Setup an Avaya IP Phone 1616
When configuring your IP Office for use with an IP Phone, there are a few prerequisites that should be checked.
1. Select the System section on the left, and then click on either the LAN1 or LAN2 tab depending on which port the IP Phone is configured to connect.
2. Select the VOIP tab and ensure the H.323 Gatekeeper option is enabled. This will configure the phone system to allow IP Phones to register.
3. Connect to your phone system using the System Status application. Click the Resources section on the left and ensure there are sufficient VCM channels on your system.
4. Ensure there are sufficient Avaya IP endpoint licenses by clicking on the + icon beside Resources and selecting Licenses. The total number of licenses available and in use will be shown.
To configure the IP Office for a new IP Phone:
1. Select the User section on the left.
2. Click on the Create a New Record icon at the top-right and select User.
3. Enter any relevant information for this user, such as name and extension number.
4. Make sure that this user has a login code set by clicking on the Telephony -> Supervisor Settings tab. This login code will be needed to log in the extension on the IP Phone.
Once the user is added, the Manager program will ask if you would like to create an extension for this user.
5. Select the H.323 extension type and click OK. This will add a new H.323 or IP extension for this user.
If configuring an IP Phone for an existing user:
1. Click on the Extension section on the left.
2. Click on the Create a New Record icon at the top-right and select H.323 Extension.
3. In the Base Extension field, enter the extension number of the existing user.
When you first plug the phone in, you have to program it by pressing the Start key.
4. Enter the password ‘27238’ and press the # key to advance.
5. Enter the IP address. This will depend on the type of network that you configured this IP Phone for.
6. If the phone is to get its IP address from a DHCP server, enter 0.0.0.0. This will tell the phone that you are looking to get an IP address off the network.
7. If you need to set a static IP, put the IP address manually. To put a ‘.’, press the Start key.
8. Push the # key to advance.
9. Enter the call server address.
10. Enter the router address. If using DHCP, set value to 0.0.0.0.
11. Enter subnet mask. If using DHCP, set value to 0.0.0.0.
12. Enter file server IP. This is normally the same address as the phone system. If using a separate HTTP server for your phone system, that information will also need to be put in.
13. If doing any other changes such as VLAN, you can enter it. If not, you can put in ‘0’.
14. Once ready, press the # key to save your changes and the phone will reboot and attempt to connect to the phone system.
15. Once configured correctly and it’s connected to the phone system, the phone will ask you to enter the extension number for this particular phone. Enter extension number and press the OK key.
16. It will ask you to enter your password. Your phone system administrator will know the password that will be needed to put in here in order to connect to your phone. Once done, the phone will come up with all the buttons and configuration for this phone as you’ve entered.
What Is (UCaaS)?
What Is Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS)? 8 min read Linkedin Facebook Twitter Youtube Unified Communications as a Service...Read More
What is SIP Trunking?
Everything You Need To Know About SIP Trunking 1 min read Linkedin Facebook Twitter Youtube What is SIP Trunking? Session Initiation...Read More
Top 10 Benefits of Hosted PBX
Benefits of Hosted PBX 2 min read Linkedin Facebook Twitter Youtube HostedPBX is your office phone system … in the cloud....Read More